Camille's Dead Freakin' Last Run - SIGN UP TODAY!!

THE BLOG IS BACK!! Looks like I can now publish posts to the blog so over the next few weeks I'll get caught up and upload information and pictures of the big event!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Race #22

Life is all about the lessons learned. I learned two important ones in Ohio: (1) if your bladder gives you any signal that it needs to be emptied one last time, don't ignore it, and (2) if you ignore lesson #1, always run in black nylon shorts! This was the second race in my triple crown. The Preakness will need to be renamed The Peeness. I was heading out at a good pace, 9:10 at mile one and felt good. I had a sip of water at the water stop and immediately started to pee in my pants! I got it stopped, thought I could keep going but after mile two with a time of 19:05, I just couldn't keep going. Luckily there were some tractor trailers parked behind one of the buildings so I veered off course, dropped drawers, grabbed the front bumper, leaned back and let if flow! It sure felt better but I lost at least 30 seconds.

Mentally at this point I was ready to throw in the towel. I knew breaking 30 minutes was going to be nearly impossible. Coming up the last incline I contemplated walking when I heard a guy yelling, "come on 50 by 50 get moving!"

(Look at that Forest Gump stride!)

Getting me moving in this clip is Bill A.'s friend Mark who I met before the race. Mark is a pretty serious runner and was looking to break 20 minutes. Neither of us got the PR we we looking for, but I definitely wouldn't have posted a 30:56 if Mark hadn't circled back after he completed his race to all but carry me across the finish line. He also made me realized that I have more in the tank at the end than I give myself credit for and need to dig a lot deeper. Thanks, Mark!


Waiting for the fun to start
Still all smiles - must be the first 10 feet of the race!


While in Cincinnati I stayed at Jane and Bill A.'s house on our old street. We lived in the house next door when I was little so it was fun to come back and see the old street and literally take a walk down memory lane. Unfortunately, our old house was the only one on the block that wasn't getting much tender loving care. I'd originally hoped to get inside, but once I saw the condition the outside was in, I decided I really didn't want to see the inside as it's probably pretty depressing.

Former neighbors, Jane and Bill and my host and hostess for the race.The old homestead - a little worse for wear and not nearly as large as I remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment