Camille's Dead Freakin' Last Run - SIGN UP TODAY!!

THE BLOG IS BACK!! Looks like I can now publish posts to the blog so over the next few weeks I'll get caught up and upload information and pictures of the big event!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Race #21

My “Kentucky Derby” is completed and this old nag didn’t win, place or show but had a great time in Fargo, ND! This was a real runner’s weekend. Not only did I run on Friday, my brother Craig B. ran on Saturday but we also got to hear a talk by the Ultra Marathon Man himself, Dean Karnazes, http://www.ultramarathonman.com/.

Friday morning at o-dark-thirty I flew to Minneapolis, MN and was picked up by Craig for the four hour drive to Fargo. We stopped in St. Cloud, MN to pick up the second member of this race’s support team, our cousin Laura M. Needless to say our trip west on I-94 was also a trip down memory lane including lots of laughs, teasing and good natured ribbing.

Craig and I before the start gun.

We got to Fargo with time to kill after getting our bib numbers so we drove the 5K course. I thought Arizona and Maine were flat courses, this was even more so. Unfortunately that wasn’t enough to help me break the thirty minute mark. I finished in a time of 30:56, just barely under the ten minute pace that seems to have a choke hold on me. But that put me 37 out of 300 in my division, 546 out of 3,527 woman, xx out of 5,213 overall and about ten minutes faster than the average time of 40:19, numbers I’m happy with.

I started the race standing next to this little girl who probably was about seven and was getting ready to run her second 5K, the first one she’d finished in 27 minutes! Usually these little kids take off fast and then I catch up with them at about mile one, but not my little buddy. She took off with one of the most beautiful strides and all I saw of her from there on out was asses and elbows! I wish I’d gotten her name so I could find out how she placed; it had to be toward the top of her division.

For such a big field I wasn’t too hindered by walkers or slower runners at the start and still had enough to give a big wave to my support team! I felt good throughout the run but was disappointed to see I had a 9:45 first mile which meant I had some making up to do if I wanted to break thirty. I thought I was giving it a bit more during mile two but had a 19:40 at the mile two mark. Coming down the home stretch I heard the highland bagpiper, had a flash of irritation as it sounded like a funeral dirge, then looked over to see my support team sipping cold beers and hanging out with him! The quality of my support team is clearly slipping.

Early in the race giving a big shout out to my team!
Coming in for the finish, who's smiling now?!My Fargo support team, I hope they weren't too distracted by the race going on behind them!

During the pasta dinner Dean Karnazes was the featured speaker. I’ve read his book and must say I was expecting someone a bit more cocky or arrogant and he certainly didn’t come across that way. I still think he’s crazy to run for 72 hours straight but at least he seems to be a nice guy (even if his sexuality, along with that of all marathoners, was brought into question by Laura).

The marathon route (you know, that stance might give some credence to Laura's theory.......)

Saturday Craig got up early to get to the marathon start line while Laura and I stayed out of the rain and had a more leisurely breakfast. We made our way to mile marker 9 and 16 so that we could see Craig both going out and coming back. The rain stopped in time for us to hang out and not get wet. It was fun to cheer on the runners especially those who wrote their name on the bib number so you could call them by name – lots of smiles and thank you’s for that. Craig came up looking pretty good but asking for drugs. Guess the running world isn’t as uptight about doping as the cycling world so we sent him off with some Midol and hoped his mood swings would improve by mile 16!

Feeling the pain at mile #9
Check out Craig's "illegal smile" as he awaits his hit!

Still going strong at mile 16.

After Craig passed us for the second time, we headed to the Fargodome to catch the finish. We sat on the finish line and watched people literally collapse after they finally completed the 26.2 miles. Craig made it in still standing in 3:58:04 with an average per mile pace of 9:05. A little depressing that he can run 26.1 miles at a pace I can’t even maintain for three miles!
Craig on the Jumbotron making the final turn into the Fargodome.

It's over!!!

Wish I could say we kicked up our heels in the party town of Fargo but after a late lunch we ended up back at the hotel with beer, books and naps. We talked a couple times about walking across the street to eat dinner but that seemed like too much of an effort. Eventually we called Gina’s Pizza and Bowling. I don’t know for sure, but I think our pizza might have been used to make a strike, or at least a spare!
Honest, this is how the pizza was delivered to us!

A big thanks to Laura’s husband Bob for providing lunch on Sunday on our trip back to Minneapolis. Nothing says Minnesota better than brats on the grill. Turn Your Knob to Bob!

I was gone for three full days this trip which made me a bit anxious to leave Mom and Dylan by themselves but with the help of calls from family and friends and a drop in visitor, they held it together. Thanks to everyone who helps me out with them while I’m gone. It might not sound like much but knowing you’re calling to chat with her means a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment