Camille's Dead Freakin' Last Run - SIGN UP TODAY!!

THE BLOG IS BACK!! Looks like I can now publish posts to the blog so over the next few weeks I'll get caught up and upload information and pictures of the big event!

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Race #33

Boycott Missouri NOW!!
Demand the restoration of gender equality!

Okay I really don’t mean it but the race directors probably think I do. When I was picking up my shirt and bib number I noticed a rack of timing chips and said to the gal, “shouldn’t I get a timing chip?” “No” she responded, “those are only for the men.” “What!?!?” I screeched with a smile on my face, “Only the men get chip timed? What’s up with that?” The poor young gal doing the registration must have gotten that reaction every time a woman registered as I got a wry smile and a recommendation to go talk to the race director.

The truth came out at the start line. The race management team owns 200 timing chips. If a race needs more than 200, they rent them. However, the race organizer didn’t tell race management until a few days before the race that they would need 350 chips, too late for the race manager to get the additional 150 chips. So they flipped a coin and decided that the men would get the chips. And as the race manager said: “Like I told my wife, no matter which gender wins the coin toss, we’re going to lose.” Oh well, these things happen and this is only the second year of this particular race. They’ll get it right next year – or the boycott continues!Entrance to the first tunnel.Inside the cave before the race startedMy signature wave at the beginnin of the race.Headed into the cave.End of the race and still have the wave going! It's over!!

The race was held in old sand mine. The sand was queried to use for the production of glass. When the mine shut down a guy bought the cave and rents it out as a storage space, – I saw boats, earth moving equipment and an ambulance – a venue for events, among other things. There was a wrestling ring set up near the entrance – Cage Matches in the Cave!! I see WWE in their future, would make for good television!

The race was a hoot. My official time was 38:48 but it felt like an hour! Too bad I haven’t been living in Florida lately as I would have been able to train on the soft sand of Siesta Beach and maybe done a bit better. The first hurdle was getting my eyes to adjust to the dark interior of the cave after standing outside in the bright sun waiting for the race to start. After a few feet of concrete at the very entrance of the cave we plunged into soft sand. The course was a double loop but in all honestly I got so disoriented that I have no recollection of repeating the route! At one point we ran through water which resulted in the sand sticking to our shoes – nothing like running in a pair of cement boots!
Checking off race #33

Team Camille this race consisted of my friend Julie L. She lives with her husband Todd and boys Will and Dalton right outside St. Louis. First thing she did upon my arrival Friday was take me to a local winery for lunch, Chandler Hill Winery (www.chandlerhillvineyards.com). I had a glass of the Savage Norton – a robust red with a fierce personality and oak overtones (okay that’s a crock of shit but I just can’t help making fun of all the wine snobs out there). We capped the night out with some great carbo loading at Rich and Charlie’s – I had the toasted ravioli with marinara sauce.

Both Julie’s boys were laid up with sports related injuries so couldn’t run with me but hopefully they’ll be in top shape next year. I think they would have a blast running this race.

Will, Camille and Dalton

No comments:

Post a Comment