Camille's Dead Freakin' Last Run - SIGN UP TODAY!!

THE BLOG IS BACK!! Looks like I can now publish posts to the blog so over the next few weeks I'll get caught up and upload information and pictures of the big event!

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Race #31

Sorry for the long delay in getting this posted. I’ve been in Egypt and Jordan for the last three weeks and didn’t get this posting done before leaving. Been spending time on camels and climbing Mt. Sinai instead of running! Illinois was definitely an experience. The race took place within a giant corn maze. Before the race I climbed up the three story observation tower to check out the course and watch the starting runners. Because the rows were no more than two bodies wide, there wasn’t a group start, instead a runner started every 5 seconds. We had to submit our average time before the race so that we could be lined up in order of our relative speed. Consequently I didn’t get started for almost an hour after the first runner started. Hell, I watched the first runners finish and still hadn’t started!

The weather couldn’t have been better, a bit on the chilly side but by the time my number was called it was fine to run in shorts and a t-shirt. I confess to being a bit nervous about this run as I’ve heard so many stories about kids getting lost in corn fields and not being found for days. I could just imagine that happening to me so when I started I tired to keep the lady who started right in front on me in my sight. It worked for a while but then she took off to catch up with her kids. Fortunately the course was well marked and I did pass a few other people along the way. But I did realize how easy it would be to get lost in a corn field. I thought that I’d always be able to see the observation tower but the stalks were too high on most of the route. The only way I had any sense of direction was the location of the sun.

The craziest part about this is that I ran a PR – 29:22! Craig of course immediately jumped to the conclusion that the course was short! I have to say it doesn’t make sense to me either as I had not been running very much before the race and with all those turns to slow me down……… But hey, it’s in the record books! My first mile was 8:43!


Check out the Jordanian bagpiper and me in Jarash, Jordan! Who would have thought I'd find a bagpiper in Jordan!!

No comments:

Post a Comment