Camille's Dead Freakin' Last Run - SIGN UP TODAY!!

THE BLOG IS BACK!! Looks like I can now publish posts to the blog so over the next few weeks I'll get caught up and upload information and pictures of the big event!

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Race #7

I'm finally going to get this blog current!

I just got back from Race #7, the Elvis Presley Run, Walk, Rock and Roll (www.elvispresleyrunandwalk.com). I wish I had good news to report with regards to my time, but I don't. I finished with a flat 36:00. Even though I say time isn't that important, I have to say I was a bit disappointed with myself. I know that the temperature played a part, it was 85 degrees, but I think my lack of serious training is really more to blame. As I was plugging my way through the race I knew that I had to either abandon this craziness or recommit myself to the goal. In honesty, it was tough to finally agree to recommit - I was feeling more like I should be committed!

Once again I made reservations to leave at o'dark thirty so ended up arriving in Memphis by 8:45am on Friday. Since I'd toured Graceland on a previous trip to Memphis I went looking for another way to spend the day. On the advice of Mary the shuttle bus driver, I headed to the Memphis Zoo, www.memphiszoo.org. It was a nice way to spend the morning, until it heated up and all the animals decided to just lay in the shade. So I decided to do the same and checked into my hotel for an afternoon nap.

Was intending to find an Italian restaurant for my ritual pasta meal but then figured I couldn't leave Memphis without trying the local barbecue. I'm from NC, make that eastern NC so my pork barbecue comes slow roasted over hickory wood, chopped and infused with a vinegar based sauce, no tomato sauce for this girl. I went to Central BBQ which was touted in the visitors magazine as a great local barbecue shack www.cbqmemphis.com. For pork barbecue in a tomato base, this was pretty darn good. I got there early enough to avoid the long line but by the time I left, people were lined up outside.

After dinner I drove to the race site and checked out the course. The race started in front of Graceland and then meandered through a residential neighborhood behind the mansion. No steep hills but a couple gradual inclines. Nothing so intimidating that I thought I needed to create an elaborate excuse to not run on Saturday.

I got up Saturday hoping for rain and overcast and actually got it. Unfortunately but the time race time rolled around, it was sunny, hot and humid. I was hoping that a lot of people would be dressed in Elvis regalia, but was a bit disappointed. There was one guy in a full Elvis suit, including a cape and white loafers. I'm not sure, but I think he actually ran in the loafers the entire race. I did see one gal in an Elvis wig, but truthfully that was about it. One neat aspect was a platoon of Navy guys who were using this as a PT drill. They were lined up behind me and it was great to hear their cadence as they jogged the course. I kept telling myself I needed to stay ahead of them and was able to stay ahead until the last mile. I'd like to say that they increased their pace, but the truth was I slowed mine down. I actual walked for two, two minute intervals and my legs felt like jelly! When I finally crossed the finish line, I had absolutely no kick left in me and truly thought I was going to pass out as I leaned on the lady who cut the timing chip off my shoe. To make matters worse, the water table right at the finish line was out of water. It took a trip down the block to the staging tent to finally find water - that was after I walked by the table of hot dogs, popcorn, soda pop, donuts, etc. I guess when the race is in memory of a man who loved fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches, one shouldn't expect healthy snacks to be front and center.

So, I'm back in Durham and really want to get into more serious jogging and exercising but first I have to get through the Susan G. Komen 3 Day Walk For the Cure which begins Friday in Minneapolis. I don't think I'm as ready for this event as I was last year but hopefully my team mates will help me through.

1 comment: