Camille's Dead Freakin' Last Run - SIGN UP TODAY!!

THE BLOG IS BACK!! Looks like I can now publish posts to the blog so over the next few weeks I'll get caught up and upload information and pictures of the big event!

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Race #5

Michele and Camille suiting up before the race.Here we are at the start line, getting ready to burn up the course!
Caught in action - we're behind the lady in blue
I think I can honestly say that this was the “no turning back” race. I very specifically picked a state and went looking for a race. I also got other people involved. Greenville, SC is relatively close to Charlotte, NC where my friend Karen M. lives with her husband Rick and daughter Michele. Karen and I go all the way back to elementary school at Club Boulevard.

The unique aspect of this race is that it is run at night and the route is lit with luminaria. To add to the fun, I ran with Michele, Karen’s 10 year old daughter. Michele had participated in a program called Girls on the Run during the prior school year and wanted to run another 5K. So I enlisted her as my running buddy for this race. Prior to the race, Michele and I discussed “race strategy” and decided Michele would wear the interval watch and we would set it at five minutes and two minutes. I recommended that we not go out too fast, so that we wouldn’t get worn out too quick.

Before the race Michele, Karen and I went out to eat at the Olive Garden to carbo-load then we headed back to the race site to await the start. During our wait we of course checked out the competition. We were most impressed with the three guys Michele called “the beach boys.” The beach boys were three middle aged men who walked around in only their skimpy running shorts, deep tans and grey hair, working to impress I don’t know who! Though we couldn’t laugh too hard, they did beat us to the finish line.

We lined up at the finish line and started talking to the people around us, I even told a few people of my 50 by 50 in 50 plans. The start gun went off and the impatience of youth took over. We went out like two bullets! We stayed on our interval times for two rotations and then went into a “free run” dictated by Michele. The course was a big loop, uphill for the first half and downhill for the second half. It was fun to see the race leaders pass us on the way down as we were still struggling up the hill.

I felt good throughout but then we did quite a bit of walking. The race included a lot of young people which I think was encouraging for Michele. We talked along the route about the importance of having fun when you run or there is no sense in doing it. I hope she continues to find enjoyment in running.

Michele finished with a big kick at the end to cross the finish line at 43:13. I came in behind at 43:28. All things considered I’m not to disappointed. Thanks Michele for joining me in one leg of my big dream.

Check out the web site: http://www.candlelightrun.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment