Camille's Dead Freakin' Last Run - SIGN UP TODAY!!

THE BLOG IS BACK!! Looks like I can now publish posts to the blog so over the next few weeks I'll get caught up and upload information and pictures of the big event!

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Krispy Kreme Challenge

2400 Calories, 12 Donuts, 4 Miles, 1 Hour

I think this was an experience I don't need to repeat! Dodged a bullet in that the rain that kept us inside all day Friday stopped over night and the snow that fell in the afternoon didn't start until I was driving home. Unfortunately, my friend Erin R. could not make it down from Washington DC due to a "storm of the century" that came in Friday. So I ran alone --- with 5,999 other people who wanted a little exercise and a dozen donuts.
All smiles before the raceThis explains it all - sounds so simple doesn't it?!? A few characters at the start line. Elvis was also in the race, but then what did you expect when there were donuts being given away!

The race was well organized and started right on time. The run to Krispy Kreme was mostly downhill so I took advantage of that and had a good first two miles. I was a bit stiff as I hadn't run too much all week but I pushed through. At about the mile and a half mark we started to see people running back. the first few runners looked pretty amazing, considering they had just consumed a dozen sugary delights. As more and more runners came by I saw more carrying their box of half eaten donuts and a few looked a little green around the gills!


Still all smiles as I open my box of sugary goodness. This didn't last long. The first bite was bad and even with two glasses of water I only was able to consume two donuts. I was disappointed in myself as I really thought I was going to be able to down at least six. I did learn a few things from my competitors (in case I ever think I need to do this again):

1) Run with friends, specially ones who will dress up in strange outfits
2) Make a "donut sandwich" so you only have to eat four mega donuts
3) Fill your cheeks first4) If you're going to blow - give yourself plenty of room!

My inability to "complete the eat" kept me out of the running for a Challenger designation but it kept the contents of my stomach intact.
I must confess that I didn't have a very good run on the return. Chalk it up to lazy but I found myself walking a good deal of the way just because I could. One would think the sugar buzz most people were on would have served them well, but the gooey goodness does sit like a lead weight in the bottom of the stomach.

At least I didn't finish last and guess what? My friend Erin R. actually finished the race two people ahead of me!! What's up with that Erin??? www.krispykremechallenge.com

No comments:

Post a Comment